A long weekend was around the corner and nothing but a relaxing holiday was all we could think of. Recently I had heard from a couple of people of that Fujairah seemed to be a nice place to spend a couple of days incase one wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Dubai. We immediately went to take help from our trusted hotel booking websites (Booking.com and Hotels.com). Thankfully, Booking.com gave us a perfect deal and we spent the two days in engulfed in the mountainous terrain. If you are visiting the UAE anytime soon then do spend a day or two here.
Reasons to visit Fujairah:
- Fujairah is the only city that has a coastline which is different from the other emirates in the UAE. It has a coastline along the Persian gulf. As you drive towards Snoopy Island from Fujairah you will be able to catch a glimpse of Oman from the bridge. It reminded me of a dialogue from one of my favourite films, “Being in two places at the same time”
- The Hajjar mountains that create the beautiful scenery on the way to Fujairah from Dubai is breathtaking. They are a never ending and transport you to a different period. I remembered the “Alchemist” as we drove away. You could sometimes be lucky enough to spot camels here. We did so !
- Bull Fighting is another major reason why you cannot just stop yourself from visiting this place. This isn’t gory and ruthless like the ones that happen in Spain. Each bull is allowed to fight with it’s opponent for a minute and the one that manager to push the other one out of the circle is declared as the winner. This takes place every Friday between 4.00pm to 6.00pm
- Snorkeling and Scuba diving is available on the beaches in Fujairah.
- Masafi Friday Market: Just like an oasis soothes the thirst of desert travellers, the Masafi Friday Market is a treat for people interested in earthenware, plants and carpets. A market set in the desert along the edges of a huge road is worth a visit. Even though this place is called a friday market, it is open on all the days of the week.
- Forts – Fujairah has a number of forts built inside and on the outskirts of the city. If you wish to delve into heritage, this is a place where you will find it.
- Quieter roads, good food, relaxed life! If that is something you wish for a weekend then Fujairah is a must see.
A Fujairah “3 Day Itinerary”
If you liked my travel Itinerary and wish to get one prepared for your travel do write to me!